Wednesday 7 August 2013

Day 11

What a fantastic flying day today was... errrr...

Briefing was at 1100, launches scheduled for 1300 and no tasks were given before briefing..

Tasks were posted into country pigeon holes after briefing; racing tasks of 185km A and 150km B were set for standard class. 

On the grid launched were progressively postponed until 1450 when standard class was eventually launched after most of club class were off the deck. This is also after a new C task had been released, a 140km racing task in a cats cradle shape. Matt and I were launching off the back of the grid and then 1/2 an hour in to my flight Matt told me that he thinks the day has been canceled from listening to the POM's. shortly after I saw all 7 gliders in my area start dumping water. We received confirmation from Beryl at Aussie base that the day was indeed canned and I then also started to drop my 8 minutes worth of water. I was circling in a weak bubble, just holding ground when after more turns my wings became increasingly wet and I was now descending.. 
(Matt dumping his water. Blue with cirrus over head. There was a small window of CU over the field but that dried out and receded north and west. Flying toward the sun here; West)

I made my way over for a nice circuit and landed gently after 40 minutes of flight? Matt landing shortly after. 

Club class however did not receive the same grace and were sent on task. I have just over heard from Aussie base that Ailsa is in a Paddock somewhere? Yet to be confirmed but I don't think that many will be making it home looking at the sky now and how it felt earlier..  

1 comment:

  1. Lovely afternoon fun flight by the sound of things. Could have been worse.
    Just one thing from the coaching corner: Can you borrow that Arcus again so the CFI can show you how to keep that yaw string straight? :-P :D

    ReplyDelete